OutWord Bound is an LGBT-themed writing competition for young people aged 11-16 in the York area.
The competition forms part of the York LGBT History programme of events marking LGBT History month. The theme for the 2017 LGBT History Month is
“Citizenship, PSHE and Law”
2017 also marks the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalisation of male homosexuality in England and Wales.
Competition entrants are asked to write a piece of fiction, non-fiction or poetry of up to 1,000 words, focusing on any aspect of LGBT life.
Some ideas include:
- The theme of LGBT History Month 2017: “Citizenship, PSHE and Law”
- Other LGBT history topics
- Personal experiences
- Coming out
- Equality and diversity related to LGBT issues
The competition aims to celebrate York’s diverse community and combat homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in schools.
The competition will take place throughout LGBT History Month.
Timeline Key Dates
- Competition Launch – Wednesday 1st February
- Competition Deadline Closing Date – Tuesday 28th February
- Judging will take place from Wednesday 1st March to Friday 16th March
- Prize Giving Award Ceremony will take place on – Exact date TBC
OutWord Bound is generously supported by the York LGBT Forum.